Four Easy Tips to Reduce Leg Swelling While Working From Home
As many of us continue to work from home, we’re hearing more and more people voice their concerns over swelling legs. While the typical cause of swollen legs at home is from a basic lack of activity, we recommend you consult with your physician if persistent swelling occurs, as it could indicate a more serious medical issue.
“Dependent edema” occurs when the fluids in our body accumulate at the lowest points (our legs and feet). As you can imagine, the longer you sit still—like throughout a full day of work at your desk—the more likely it is for this type of swelling to occur.
Today, Dr. Paul McNeill and Dr. Garth Rosenberg of Capitol Vein and Laser Centers will share some tips and tricks to avoid and manage dependent edema while working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- GET MOVING: Try to stand and move every hour, even if it’s just for five minutes. Whether you’re running, biking, stretching or just walking, your legs (and mood) will improve dramatically!
- KICK YOUR FEET UP: An easy way to quickly improve blood flow in your legs is to elevate them. The ideal position for elevation is at or above heart level. Consider sleeping with your feet elevated on a pillow every night, or you can lay on your back and prop your feet up on the wall for five minutes. Another option is to get comfortable and kick your feet up on an ottoman while you work at your desk. All of these are easy solutions you can do at home without disruption to your productivity.
- APPLY LIGHT PRESSURE: Compression socks apply a gentle pressure to your legs to help fluids circulate more naturally. Thanks to modern technology and design, today’s compression socks are subtle and stylish. While no one will likely see your legs during your virtual meeting, you can rest assured that even if they do, they will never know you’re wearing them! We recommend using a 15-30 mm/HG strength pair and wearing them for the entirety of your day.
- NEVER SKIP LEG DAY: Stuck on back-to-back video calls and unable to get up from your desk? That’s ok! Here are some easy leg exercises you can do while seated.
- Leg Extensions: Just like it sounds, sit with your feet flat and extend your leg straight and lift it slowly up. Repeat this 20-30 times with each leg.
- Knee Lifts: From the same seated position, bend your knee towards your chest while lifting your foot as high as it will go. Try this 20-30 times per leg.
- Ankle Circles: With one foot on the ground and the other lifted slightly off the ground, rotate the lifted foot by the ankle 10 times in a circular motion clockwise and 10 times counterclockwise. Repeat this five times with each foot.
- Foot Pumps: With your legs at a 90-degree angle, lift your toes as high as you can while keeping your heels pressed to the floor. If you feel a stretch in your calves, that’s good. Then, after you’ve placed your feet back down, raise your heels into the air with your toes on the ground. Repeat this five times.
Healthy legs are vital to living an active lifestyle, so we hope you incorporate some of these tips into your daily routine at home. Our team at Capitol Vein and Laser Centers specializes in the treatment and management of Varicose Veins, Lymphedema, Leg Swelling, Leg Wounds, Leg Pain and Spider Veins.
Call 866-695-8346 to schedule an appointment at any of our seven convenient offices in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Pennsylvania.