The Smart Way to Say Goodbye: A Guide to Varicose Vein Treatment
Millions of Americans develop varicose veins at some point in life. Some of them live with the discomfort, attempting to treat them with lifestyle changes and home remedies, but many opt for one of several surgical options. At Capital Vein and Laser, we’re often asked what’s the best treatment for varicose veins. The truth is there’s no best treatment—they can all be effective—and the right choice is different for everyone. If you’re currently living with varicose veins and would like them to go away, here’s a quick guide to available treatments:
● Lifestyle Changes: The first course of action is to address some of the factors that may have contributed to the development of your varicose veins in the first place. Increasing your exercise (even if it’s just walking every day!) and spending time with your legs elevated can often yield results over time.
● Compression Stockings: Another non-surgical option is to wear compression stockings. These garments are specifically designed to improve circulation and can be worn discreetly under loose-fitting, comfortable pants.
● VNUS Closure: Also known as the “gold standard of varicose vein treatment,” VNUS Closure seals diseased veins with the use of radiofrequency heat energy.
● VenaSeal: This treatment uses a medical adhesive to close unwanted veins.
● Sclerotherapy: A popular option among patients to remove small varicose and spider veins, sclerotherapy works via a tiny injection that's directed into the affected area. The veins disappear weeks later. Note that multiple injections may be necessary depending on the number of veins and size.
● Microphlebectomy: This minimally invasive procedure involves removing the varicose vein via small cuts to the leg with the help of local anesthetic and numbing medication.
● Varithena: A preferred method of treatment for larger varicose veins, Varithena involves using a catheter to fill affected veins with a microfoam. As the catheter is removed, the veins collapse and seal, eventually becoming eliminated completely.
Only you and your doctor can decide which choice is right for you, but don’t let the variety of options intimidate you. All of them are safe and require little to no recovery time. If you have any questions, or if you are itching to remove your varicose veins today, please reach out at 866-695-8346. We have vast experience in all of these treatments, and it would be our pleasure to help you take the next step.